Friday, November 17, 2017

Review: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta


Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Jellicoe Road
by Melina Marchetta
August 26, 2008
416 pages


Goodreads Summary:
In this lyrical, absorbing, award-winning novel, nothing is as it seems, and every clue leads to more questions.

At age eleven, Taylor Markham was abandoned by her mother. At fourteen, she ran away from boarding school, only to be tracked down and brought back by a mysterious stranger. Now seventeen, Taylor's the reluctant leader of her school's underground community, whose annual territory war with the Townies and visiting Cadets has just begun. This year, though, the Cadets are led by Jonah Griggs, and Taylor can't avoid his intense gaze for long. To make matters worse, Hannah, the one adult Taylor trusts, has disappeared. But if Taylor can piece together the clues Hannah left behind, the truth she uncovers might not just settle her past, but also change her future.

 

Review

After wanting to read this book for the longest time I finally did it. I picked it up and read it. I can see why it is so well-loved. Jellicoe Road is a moving story full of heartache and hope.

I'm going to keep this review short because I think it's better to go into the story knowing as little as possible. You're guaranteed to be confused but trust me when I say it's better that way. The mysterious air made the characters much memorable and the story more profound.

As I mentioned earlier, at the beginning of the story, I was very confused. Nevertheless I found myself completely engrossed in piecing together the stories. There was so much love but also great losses. The closer we got to the big picture, the more anxious and dread I felt. The way the story flowed made it so you know the undeniable truths but you really don't want the reality to be confirmed. Ms. Marchetta skillfully ties everything in. You don't know you needed the little
details (the postman in Yass lol) until they're given to you.

The story of Jellicoe Road is thoughtful and quietly intense. There were many different types of relationships and they were all very sweet. Each subtle on the surface but overflowing with feelings at its center. "Maybe that's why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It's not the pain they're getting over, it's the love." (p. 262).

The territory war was my favourite. I love a good rivalry and seeing the boarders, Townies and Cadets in action was such good fun. They meant business but not so serious that they couldn't be friends and have some laughs together. Even if no one knew how it all started, it was a meaningful game.

A book rich in emotions with excellent characterization, Jellicoe Road is a must-read for readers of all genre and all age. I cannot recommend this book enough. Read it.
 
5 Cats

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...