Monday, December 12, 2016

Review: Corrupt (Devil's Night #1) by Penelope Douglas


Corrupt by Penelope Douglas
Corrupt
(Devil's Night #1)
by Penelope Douglas
November 17, 2015
460 pages


Goodreads Summary:
Erika

I was told that dreams were our heart’s desires. My nightmares, however, became my obsession.

His name is Michael Crist.

My boyfriend’s older brother is like that scary movie that you peek through your hand to watch. He is handsome, strong, and completely terrifying. The star of his college’s basketball team and now gone pro, he’s more concerned with the dirt on his shoe than me.

But I noticed him.

I saw him. I heard him. The things that he did, and the deeds that he hid…For years, I bit my nails, unable to look away.

Now, I’ve graduated high school and moved on to college, but I haven’t stopped watching Michael. He’s bad, and the dirt I’ve seen isn’t content to stay in my head anymore.

Because he’s finally noticed me.

Michael

Her name is Erika Fane, but everyone calls her Rika.

My brother’s girlfriend grew up hanging around my house and is always at our dinner table. She looks down when I enter a room and stills when I am close. I can always feel the fear rolling off of her, and while I haven’t had her body, I know that I have her mind. That’s all I really want anyway.

Until my brother leaves for the military, and I find Rika alone at college.

In my city.

Unprotected.

The opportunity is too good to be true as well as the timing. Because you see, three years ago she put a few of my high school friends in prison, and now they’re out.

We’ve waited. We’ve been patient. And now every last one of her nightmares will come true.

 

Review

I read an excerpt of this one and I was hooked. Almost immediately I started into the book. While I enjoyed the simmering tension, I also found some things challenging to accept. Morally I can't allow it but I sort of understand why things happened the way they did.

The story was shrouded in tension and it was torturous but exciting. Alternating between the present and the past, each chapter brings us closer to what exactly went down that fateful night 3 years ago. Why do the guys carry such intense hatred (for Rika)? I definitely guessed it and the reveal was exactly what I expected but that didn't make the scenes any less satisfying to read.

There were some hot scenes between Rika and Michael. They were on fire. I really like their chemistry and it was obvious they belonged together. They make each other stronger and whole. The steam room scene was hard to swallow because it was plain weird and messed up to me. It's kind of awkward afterwards...? At least to me it was. I guess it was worth it if things get fixed? Or rather someone was fixed...

The story was really about the four Horsemen and Rika but I can't help wishing for more of Alex! Maybe because she's kind of the only other female character in the book? But she really stood out with her unapologetic and unwavering stance on her job. Fingers crossed for more Alex!

Regardless of the moral conundrum I had, I enjoyed Corrupt. It's one of those books that leave you thinking about it long after you're done. Kai's story is next (I'm mega excited)! I recommend reading the Valentine's Day Bonus Scene on the author's website. It's a really insightful and exciting hint at what's to come!
 

4.5 Cats

2 comments:

  1. This does really sound intriguing. I'll have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dying to talk to someone about it so I really hope you read it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...