Monday, January 5, 2015

Review: Past Perfect by Leila Sales

This book's a little old but I got it because it sounded fun and Jess @ The Reading Nook Reviews really loved it! It was a very cute read indeed!


Past Perfect by Leila Sales
Past Perfect
by Leila Sales
October 4, 2011
336 pages


Goodreads Summary:
A sweet and clever novel about the woes of (boy) history repeating itself, from the author of Mostly Good Girls.
 
All Chelsea wants to do this summer is hang out with her best friend, hone her talents as an ice cream connoisseur, and finally get over Ezra, the boy who broke her heart. But when Chelsea shows up for her summer job at Essex Historical Colonial Village (yes, really), it turns out Ezra’s working there too. Which makes moving on and forgetting Ezra a lot more complicated…even when Chelsea starts falling for someone new.

Maybe Chelsea should have known better than to think that a historical reenactment village could help her escape her past. But with Ezra all too present, and her new crush seeming all too off limits, all Chelsea knows is that she’s got a lot to figure out about love. Because those who don’t learn from the past are doomed to repeat it….


Review

I read this as soon as I got my hands on it and it did not disappoint! It was definitely filled with cute and fun moments. More than that there were some underlying themes that I thought were just perfectly executed. I'm not a big history person so it was extra fun to read about all the historical facts.

Chelsea grew up in Essex, a reenacted Colonial village. She always works there during her summers but this summer, her best friend joins her and the boy who broke her heart is there too. As junior interpreters they have an unending feud with the Civil War living history village across the street. The War was so much fun! Both Essex and Reenactmentland had hilarious ideas on how to mess with each other. Along the way Chelsea meets Dan who is a Civil Warrior. Technically he's a big no no but they can't help their feelings as they grow closer.

When the book started off, Chelsea was a lost girl. She didn't know what she really wanted in her life. She obsessed over her ex, Ezra, thinking he was perfect for her. If it wasn't for her interactions with Dan, she would've never realized she deserved something/someone better. Slowly, she began to see things more clearly and managed to find herself by the end. Some credits definitely go to Dan for that. Plus, he was such a sweetheart when he was with her! They understood each other. My only complaint is that we didn't get enough of them together. I really wanted to see more of Dan with Chelsea!

The supporting cast were entertaining. Ezra was such a boy. I know they're all still very young but his actions and behaviour were so immature. Hugs for Fiona for being such a good friend to Chelsea. Their ice cream rating sessions were delightful to follow. Chelsea's parents were a little insufferable but I was laughing so hard whenever her dad's rhetorical questions popped up. He's still a good dad for making her see that some things just aren't the way you remember them to be, eg. Ezra.

The historical interpreters were fabulous. I honestly didn't know such things existed. It makes me want to visit a historical reenactment village! Where can I find one? This book will get you to seriously laugh. It put a smile on my face all the way though. I had so much fun it made me wish I grew up in a historical reenactment village too!

4 Cats

20 comments:

  1. This is actually on my wishlist - it looks super cute! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super adorable! I hope you get it soon and love it :D

      Delete
  2. Even with its faults it sounds like this was a really good read and more importantly, you had fun with it! Wonderful review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so much fun reading it! Historical reenactment villages are now on my list of to-sees ;)

      Delete
  3. So glad that you ended up liking this one too Eileen! I read this book back a few years ago, but your review so makes me want to do a re-read! There were so many funny laugh out loud scenes! Fab review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasprit! I'm so glad you enjoyed my review :D

      Delete
  4. I've had this book forever! Though I haven't read it yet. lol. Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read this just because I ADORED This Song Will Save Your Life. I actually thought that This Song was Leila Sales debut but nope. Duh to me. >_< Still! It does sound cute and a little fluffy and eeeep. Going to try it someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea about this book until Jess told me so no worries haha! Now I need to read This Song Will Save Your Life. *adds to TBR mountain

      Delete
  6. I think I liked the author's previous books (talk about good memory) so I'm actually looking forward to this. I don't know if this will be exactly my cup of tea but it does sound extremely sweet. Great review, Eileen! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naban! Not quite sure you'll love this one either but it is extremely fluffy haha.

      Delete
  7. I really need to pick this one up! I absolutely loved This Song Will Save Your Life so I'm sure I would enjoy this one too :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely won't regret it and thanks Christy!

      Delete
  8. Ooooh, I think I need to check more Leila Sales books because I adored This Song Will Save Your Life! And this one sounds so cute! And the historical reenancement sounds like an interesting twist to read about!
    Great review Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a fun read! Do let me know if you read it :D I'm excited for her new release too!

      Delete
  9. Thanks Eileen your review makes me want to read this too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't read an awful lot of contemporary, but this sounds like so much fun! In fact considering one of my favourite genres is historical fiction this might be the perfect contemporary read for me. :) Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're interested!! I really hope you'll love it :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...