Thursday, July 10, 2014

Review: Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

*Review contains spoilers.

Since You've Been Gone cover
Since You've Been Gone
by Morgan Matson
May 6, 2014
449 pages


Goodreads Summary:
The Pre-Sloane Emily didn't go to parties, she barely talked to guys, she didn't do anything crazy. Enter Sloane, social tornado and the best kind of best friend—the one who yanks you out of your shell. But right before what should have been an epic summer, Sloane just... disappears. No note. No calls. No texts. No Sloane. There’s just a random to-do list. On it, thirteen Sloane-selected-definitely-bizarre-tasks that Emily would never try... unless they could lead back to her best friend. Apple Picking at Night? Ok, easy enough. Dance until Dawn? Sure. Why not? Kiss a Stranger? Wait... what?

Getting through Sloane’s list would mean a lot of firsts. But Emily has this whole unexpected summer ahead of her, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected) to check things off. Who knows what she’ll find?

Go Skinny Dipping? Um...


Review

I enjoyed this story but found it can be slow at times. The mystery of where Sloane went did keep me intrigued and I wanted to see how Emily was going to complete all the tasks on the list.

I love how Emily was shy and timid in the beginning but became daring and courageous by the end of the book. Even though everything on the list was out of her comfort zone, she still managed to complete them and in a creative way too! Her character was well-developed and I definitely cared about her(although she may have been a tad too pathetic in the first Orchard scene).

Frank was a great love interest. He was reliable, well-mannered and cute. I enjoyed that he and Emily started off as pure friends. Their feelings for each other didn't grow until they started hanging out and got to know each other better. I would've loved to see more of the romance though. For me, it wasn't enough because it seems that Frank and Emily finally happened but then the book ended. But that's just me, a sucker for romance.

It was wonderful to see that Emily found Sloane! They worked everything out and she got her best friend back!! I was sad that Emily and Dawn didn't work out though. Albeit, I could understand Dawn's point-of-view having been a victim in a similar situation that Emily's the perpetrator of (kissing Frank when he had a girlfriend).

Since You've Been Gone was fun and light and I'd recommend it as a summer read! Maybe you can even do the list alongside Emily while reading this book!

2 comments:

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...